Friday, July 22, 2011

New Spaces, New Places

“Courage is the power to let go of the familiar.” – Raymond Lindquist

What is familiar is comfortable. Even though the familiar might be worse than the unfamiliar, we still tend to hold on to it, because going into the unknown is uncomfortable. Having the courage to go into the unfamiliar can be tough, but not impossible. It requires a shift in perspective. Sometimes life requires a leap of faith-- into the unknown. Become curious. Become an explorer of life. This is an adventure.

Letting go can be hard-- even with the world to look forward to...

I am fully aware of attachments to creature comforts and my routine ways of life. Daily Starbucks iced coffee with chocolate. My gym. Whole Foods. My Volvo. Cute apartment, my own classroom, and McKinley Park. My precious kitty, Maddie. Friends and family, my support team, all at fingertips length.

Yet, in 2 months I will leave my hometown for the last 10+ years of Sacramento and all these things behind, to embark on a new journey-- a new way of life, culture, language, foods, sights, history, in the Portuguese capitol of Lisbon. I won't know anyone. I will be stretched, molded, encouraged to grow, which is exactly what I know I must do.
I am honored beyond my wildest dreams, wearing the title of a Fulbrighter. I am ready to embrace this upcoming adventure, and the challenges it will bring, but it is still bittersweet. Saying goodbye to friends, family, and everything familiar, to take on the newness of growth and potential.

Lisbon, seaside
Today I say goodbye to hopes and dreams of one kind, to wake up to others. I am letting go, and making spaces for new people, places, ideas, thoughts, and love-- with an open heart.

A viagem da minha vida para vir ...

The journey of my life awaits...

cheers,
Kristy

No comments:

Post a Comment