Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Bon Voyage!

"Growth means change and change involves risk, stepping from the known to the unknown."


Tomorrow morning I make the 16 hour flight from San Francisco to Lisboa! All packed up and ready as I'll ever be- with utter thanks for my amazing family and friends who have  my last two weeks incredibly special. I feel so blessed. My long term visa came through just yesterday, so we had to trek to the Portuguese Consulate in SF to have my passport stamped before finishing up moving out and deciding on a few last things to pack. 
Views from the Alfama district

Upon my arrival in Lisboa on Thursday (my birthday!) I will be visiting three apartments, and then get to make the choice as to which one will be my new home. Here is a link to one of them, it's a quaint studio in the Alfama district: 

  http://www.santoestevao-alfama.com/ (Falcão apartment), in the typical quarter of Alfama.

The Alfama is the oldest historical district in Lisbon with windy narrow streets spreading from the Castle of Lisbon to the Tejo River, and known for its many fado (a type of Portuguese traditional music) bars and restaurants. Overlooking the Alfama is the midevil Castle of Sao Jorge, royal residence until the early 16th century and now offering the best views of the city. Can't wait for evening strolls at dusk, bicycle rides through the neighborhood, and conversing (at least trying!) with the locals. 

2 comments:

  1. We're going to lose you forever to Lisbon. The pictures look positively DREAMY! Safe travels to you, Friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So exciting! We miss you at school, but know that you will have the time of your life. Enjoy every minute!!

    ReplyDelete