Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Stones in the Road

“Stones in the road? I save every single one, one day I'll build a castle” Fernando Pessoa

My new life began in Lisboa with one word:

Overwhelming.

To be expected? Certainly. Every time I have tried to sit down to blog something I've been unable to write. The first week and a half  proved to be more difficult due to the fact the apartment I was to live in was not vacated yet-- so I stayed in a room of the landlord's home unable to unpack my bags. I expected the adjustments to be hard at times, and there have been a number of these days... tears, confusion, homesickness, but I'm beginning to feel better and lighter!

We had our Fulbright Orientation last week and a marvelous time getting to know the other Fulbrighters in Portugal, learning about their interesting lives and different researching or teaching assignments  here!


Each day has been busy meeting people, exploring sights in Lisbon, along with being at the University almost daily. This town is quite amazing and I am fascinated with it's rich history and culture. Not to mention the foods are a wealth of deliciousness! Lots of different fish, breads, soups, cheese, sweet treats... I am becoming enamored with the slower pace of living and abundant cafe culture which is bar none to Italy in my opinion. 

Navigating public transportation, the metro, buses, trams is all new business for me in a place I have little familiarity with yet. The language, whoa. I thought I had a decent grasp of the Portuguese basics, but I'm finding it quite frustrating to try to communicate. Where do I go to swim? Yoga?  Groceries? It seems each new day brings growth and challenges hand in hand. 


I finally moved into a rad apartment on the top floor of an old palace one week ago--it's funky and cool, with big windows that open up to see the area of Alfama and the water. But there is no stove, no washer or dryer, and it's about an hour commute via public transport one way to the University. There are no conveniences such as groceries or pharmacies or shopping in close proximity so it's not so practical.... uncertain I will be able to stay here long. But alas, it is beautiful. Here is a view from my window:

A link to photos of some of the things I have been doing thus far!  

Some highlights include: seeing my first European futbol match (Lisbon's Sporting team against an Italian team), amazing museums, fado music, experiencing Portuguese food culture and night life, making a visit to the the US Embassy in Lisbon, being invited to Parliament for the dedication of the Federalist Papers translated into Portuguese...

Abraços e beijos! (hugs & kisses)

Kristy



4 comments:

  1. Prayers for you girl! Adventures have bumps & turns but are always memorable:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful update! I'm happy to hear that you're settling in. Enjoy those ocean breezes, and continue to capture each moment to the fullest!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there!
    I have enjoyed reading your posts thus far, I recently applied for an ETA grant to Portugal. I have a quick question, if you don't mind. If you could give yourself advice, during the period between submission of material and March, what advice would you give yourself?

    Hope you enjoy your time in Portugal!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Michael,
    PATIENCE! It feels like a looooong wait. Do you know Portuguese? I'd recommend taking a class of sorts or doing your own study in the between time as well. Also, you'll get notice if you are a finalist in early March or even mid February. That way you'll know if you are in the last pool of candidates (: Best of luck & keep me posted!

    ReplyDelete