Friday, October 14, 2011

Tourada: Uma Tradição Português


Tourada: a bullfight


Yesterday evening was the last bullfight of the season in Lisbon until next spring. Although hesitant, since a few friends were attending, thought I'd try and experience this Portuguese tradition with them.

When we arrived, outside the beautiful arena Campo Pequeno were boisterous protesters speaking out against the fights. It was tempting to join because of the inhumane nature of this sport. 
                                       In Spain they kill the bulls, but in Portugal they instead stab it with spikes and run them around until good and worn out. Ugh. Then a group of 7 or 8 men lure him towards and grab him by the horns and tail as a "conquest," I suppose.  After 20 minutes, my stomach queasy, I had to get up and leave early. I just couldn't handle the blood, and was mortified to see the bulls confused, upset, breathing heavy. Just couldn't do it.  
      
     The only time I would be back to Campo Pequeno will be to join the protests. Oh well-- I gave the Portuguese tradition a try, but realized it's not something I can enjoy even in the slightest.





2 comments:

  1. I am with you... However it made me feel better to know that they don't kill the bulls in the end. Hopefully they give them some pain relievers and the poor things never have to endure it again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seriously--what is UP with blood sports? Can you imagine the gladiatorial arenas of old? It is sad and scary that people can find joy in observing suffering. I am glad you were able to experience it for yourself, Kris. There's power in that. Now you KNOW on a multi-sensory level how you feel about the sport!

    ReplyDelete